Thursday, 16 May 2013

Wynnewood progress report

As today is the middle day of the month, I thought I should post a progress report on my plan to have the base scenery at Wynnewood done by the end of the month.

My temporary job as manager of the Akoonah Park camping ground is taking up a lot of my time, so I'm well behind schedule. Actually, it's not so much the time the job requires, as it is the frequent 30 minute interuptions to the day.

Nevertheless, progress has been made.  I've worked out where the roads will go, and made a start on them.  I've also built the core buildings for Martin Fertilizer and Musgrove Lumber.  The original plan was for Musgrove Lumber to have a row of buildings along both sides of the rail siding, but after experimenting with cardboard mock-ups, I feel that having buildings on the aisle side of the track will make it very difficult for operators to work the siding. I'll ask the guys what they think when they come over for my next operating session in mid June.

I've also installed the foundation and "brick" paving for the depot, and slightly realigned the station siding.  And I have painted the rails - the mainline got two coats of rail brown, and the secondary tracks got a coat of rail brown followed by a coat of red-brown.

I still have a lot more prep work to get done before I can start laying the ground cover. If I can't finish it by the end of May, I have a 'hard' target of getting it done before the June operating session.


Friday, 3 May 2013

Martin Fertilizer, Wynnewood

I've set myself the target of having the base scenery done at Wynnewood by the end of this month. That's a big challenge for me as I haven't even built the core structures for Wynnewood yet, or even decided where they (or the roads) will go.

So, over the past two evenings I've been building Martin Fertilizer. I was planning on using a structure I made for my N-trak module, but decided I wanted something a little bigger, and more like the real building.

Courtesy of Google Streetview, here is the real Martin Fertilizer:

And here is my model:

I had to estimate the dimensions.  And I should have referred to the photos more frequently than I did because I missed one door completely and placed another in the wrong place.  I've left the roof off until after I paint the building and install the window glazing).

This building is not served by rail, but the location of the disused siding at the rear of the building leads me to think that it once might have been. That's certainly enough evidence for me to exercise my modellers' licence.
I will be modelling Martin Fertilizer in earlier (and hopefully more prosperous) times.  I believe that the siding behind Martin Fertilizer once extended beyond W. Seminole Street.

In the top right-hand corner of the last photo you can see some of the sheds at Musgrove Lumber, which is the next industry I have to model.