Monday, 16 July 2018

Operating on the Cann River

Last Friday Darren hosted an operating session on his Cann River layout which is based on the Victorian Railways.  Here are some photos that I took during the evening.

This N scale stock pen near Noorinbee is exquisite, and my photo does not do it justice. I need two, larger
stock pens on the GC, and I'll be hard-pressed to model anything this nice.

This is a view of the long platform at Noorinbee. The signal box at the far right is shown in
the following photos.

The signal box at Noorinbee.

Another view of the signal box at Noorinbee.

The motive power for the train that I ran during the evening was this "T" class,
accompanied by two guards vans.

After making up my train at Genoa I had to wait for a goods train pulled by this "B" class to pass.

Greg was shunting coal wagons at Wingan when I took this photo.

A town scene at Noorinbee, although this could be almost anywhere in rural Victoria.

A small goods shed situated next to overgrown track near Noorinbee.

Darren (L) watches as Graham shunts wagons at the Cann River yard.

The control panel at Cann River. I understand that the display follows VR practice.

Graham at Cann River

Chris, shunting covered wagons at one of the smaller towns (the name of which I forget.)

The control panel at Wingan is typical of those found on the smaller towns on Darren's layout. The plan is (or was)
for the layout to be controlled by a dispatcher using CTC, but train operators can over-ride that system by first
unlocking the local points and then operating them. The unlocking controls are shown in the box to the left
of the 4 toggle switches, and the process involves pressing a button until a LED glows, then throwing
a toggle switch. This adds an entirely new and fun dimension to operations.

This is my goods train leaving Noorinbee. I had arrived at Noorinbee via the track on the left, and then
run around the train so I could depart in the right direction.

A level crossing in rural Victoria.

Crossing a timber trestle bridge on the way to Chandler.

A couple of N scale wagons - a cement car and a tarp-covered GY wagon. The quality of the N scale
VR models available is staggering.

A VR goods shed with a couple of enclosed vans.

I've delivered my loaded coal wagons to the paper mill at chandler, and I'm on my way back to
Genoa with several empty cars.

Darren's layout ran just as nice as it looks, and I had a very enjoyable time running my goods train from Genoa to Chandler and back.

Unfortunately, the Cann River's days are numbered as Darren has sold his house and the layout is to be demolished. However, Darren hopes to host another session (or more?) before the layout comes down, and I hope to be invited over again.

Thanks for reading.


Saturday, 30 June 2018

GC&SF operating session - 29 June 2018

I called the crew together for another operating session on the GC&SF last night. Some of the guys couldn't make it due to other commitments, and a couple called in sick (sorry guys; there's no paid sick-leave on the GC), so we were down quite a bit on crew numbers. However, with just six of us we managed to complete the full morning schedule. Better still, we achieved that without any annoying problems (such as derailments in the hidden staging.) It has been a long time since that happened.

Brendan and I operated the yards while Greg, Bill, Graham and Chris ran the trains. Chris also took a bunch of photos and made a short video.

Here are some of the photos that Chris and I took during the session:
Greg is doing some switching at Dougherty, with the Ardmore local freight.

Chris, with Train 37 at Davis.

Graham with the Davis - Pauls Valley local freight, switching at Wynnewood.
(This photo also shows some of the new structures I've been working on for Wynnewood.)

Brendan is checking the Crew Call Board, to see what train he can run during a quiet time at Pauls Valley.

Ooops ... something when wrong as Graham left Pauls Valley with the local freight.

Greg, still at Dougherty with the Ardmore local freight.

Bill is waiting for Chris to terminate Train 37 in the south staging yard,
so he can run a north-bound train.

Graham is switching some cars at the Kerr-McGee Refinery (Wynnewood).

Bill has Train 38 stopped while he waits for Graham to clear the main.

Greg is delivering empty gons to the Dolese Bros. crusher at Big Canyon.

Greg has set out the gravel train on the siding at Davis, and Graham is making his final deliveries
with the Davis - Pauls Valley local freight.

Brendan is sorting cars at Pauls Valley.

Graham is working out what switching he has to do at Wynnewood.

A 'drone's-eye view' of the sidings at Kerr McGee Refinery.

The Stillwater Mill at Davis.

Empty gondolas awaiting loading at Southern Rock Asphalt in Dougherty.

Chris also made this video of a train with a block of Santa Fe box cars moving through Davis.

I've always thought that we needed at least seven operators (and preferably eight) to keep to the schedule, so I'm chuffed that with just six of us we were able to work the full schedule without any delays or problems. I feel I'm lucky to have such a skillful and enthusiastic bunch of crew members to run the layout with me just as I like it to be run. Thanks guys!

Thanks also to Chris for allowing me to share his photos and video.


Sunday, 20 May 2018

Operating session on Bill's Animas & Lobato Southern Railroad

Last Friday, Bill had the crew over for an operating session on his Sn3 Animas & Lobato Southern Railroad. Here are some photos that I took using my Oppo phone.

Thanks for having us over, Bill. The layout ran well, and I had a very enjoyable time.

Regards to all,