Thursday 27 April 2017

Rebuilding Gene Autry (part 2)

This afternoon I finished laying the track at the north end of the Gene Autry siding, including the revised siding arrangement for the airpark. I couldn't arrange the track exactly as I wanted to, because I had to work around  the holes I had originally cut in the baseboard in order to mount Peco point motors under the turnouts. However, this arrangement allowed me to provide more separation between the airpark sidings and the main track, and also to maximise their length. The airpark sidings can now hold eleven 40' cars (up from four), although I don't intend to operate it to full capacity.

Here's how it turned out. The short length of track in the foreground indicates where the main siding will be located.





















I envisage a row of storage sheds behind the shorter (rear) siding, which will be used for unloading boxcars. The longer (front) track will be for unloading tank cars (eg aviation fuel.) The short length of track in the foreground indicates where the main siding will be located.

The wires hanging down are the power feeders (droppers) which have been soldered to the underside of the rail, but have not yet been connected to the track power.  Also, I still have to build and install the push-rod mechanisms to operate the three turnouts.

Next step will be to install a new turnout on the main for the south end of the mainline siding. I will probably wait until all the trackwork is finished before completing the wiring and installing the pushrods.

Thanks for looking,
Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment